Volume 3, Number 4, February 25th (23-24, 26), 2002
"All things are ready, if our minds be so. " Shakespeare
Title courtesy of John Lukacs
Meeting: Pizza Kits and Lashings
This was the meeting when the pizza kit money was due. Mr. Winkler handled the orders (he will again
next week), and the program was lashings.
We began by having demonstrations by the two Jameses, Ritzman and Acevedo, of the square lashing
and the diagonal lashing, and then we looked over the shear lashing, and practiced all three. The
game was the popular Candle Game.
The campout, on Saturday and Sunday, was at Gettysburg. We set out in the morning, and got out to
the battlefield tour around noon. We did the full Billy Yank trail until about six. Some noteworthy
landmarks: the 'Devils Den', a pile of rocks where some heavy fighting took place; Little Round
Top, a key point on the third day, with a neat 'castle' on it, which was open for visitors; the
lookout tower, with a great view of Pickett's Charge, Little Round Top, and all the fields; and
Pickett's Charge, which most of us ran as best we could. The cooking that evening was very good,
and the 'goldmines' (a.k.a. egg-in-the-hole, bulls-eyes, etc.) in the morining were quite popular.
Troop Leaders Council
Few people showed up on Tuesday night for the meeting where we planned future activities. Some
changes were made; the 'Woodcarving' program was postponed, to be replaced by advancement work
and a lashing competition, and a Friday night extension was suggested for the Quantico trip.
- Because I (the Scribe) cannot attend the next two meetings, I need someone to write up notes
for these bulletins. I can compile a bulletin, if I can get material. Please send your notes
- Pizza kits are due already! Last-minute orders must be turned in by Monday.
- Remember, all Scouts are ordered to wear deodorant.
- Quantico is fast approaching! It is sceduled for the 16-17th of March. Get it on your
- The bulletin still needs a title! Send suggestions to
- If you have something you would like in the bulletin, please send
it to email@example.com
before Thursday, so I can put it in. Please
send descriptions of pack meetings, den meetings, service projects,
campouts, or anything Scout related.
- We are getting new equipment; if anyone finds that something is needed for the whole troop,
then please inform the adult leaders so it can be bought.
"The difference between a boss and a leader: a boss says, 'Go!' - a leader says, 'Let's go!'"
E. M. Kelly, Growing Disiples
Quote from Quoteland.com