In response to a forum thread, my theory on the outcome of an arena-style all out deathmatch between the following members of the Dominic Deegan webcomic. Not necessary the correct outcome, since chance plays a large role, but ...
List of Contestants
Grouped by affiliation:
If teams were made (assuming restrictions to three people), the groupings above would probably persevere. In any case, I'll describe two scenarios:
- Dominic Deegan, Luna Travoria, & Spark
- Siegfried Gunther Aern Damaske von Callan (A.K.A. Siggy), Milov Danovich, & Jayden
- Jacob Deegan
- The Infernomancer (A.K.A. TIM)
- Stunt & Bumper
- Gregory Deegan & Nurse Pam
- The Dryad & Dirk the Mighty
Assuming everyone for themselves, no cooperation (even among normal allies, e.g. Dom and Luna, Dryad and Dirk). Observations of simulated deathmatches (i.e. my brother playing Quake 3 Arena) lead to the conclusion that, in a survival match, the most important aspects are luck, resilience (CON from D&D), and skill/experience/strategy. By this standard, my estimated order of deaths:
First Wave: Chaos.
The weakest warriors go down.
Second Wave: Endurance.
- Nurse Pam. No fighting experience, no magic.
- Spark. No experience, no magic, low resilience - but small target, hard to hit.
- The Dryad. Low resilience.
- Stunt. Reckless, no magic.
- Bumper. Less reckless, no magic.
The people who don't have long-term staying power go down.
Final Showdown: Overall Ability
- Dominic. Not a real fighter. Only seer mojo keeps him alive this far.
- Dirk the Mighty. Basically, a tank. Eventually will face Luna, Milov, or TIM, and lose - haven't seen him fight, but unless he's much more skilled than he has any right to be ...
- Gregory. A white mage? Ditto as Dirk. Can take the hits, and regen, but kill him quick and he's dead.
- Jayden. Ditto as Gregory. Might go before or after, depending on other skills.
- Jacob. Yeah, a necromancer, blah blah blah, but not a fighter. He might even go earlier. See Dirk, above.
- Siggy. Actually a fighter, actually tough, but no magic, little experience. See Dirk, above.
Really one-on-one-on-one now. Getting into more detail:
- The Inferomancer. Probably the toughest to beat here, due to wound-invulnerability. But a showoff. My guess is that Luna and Milov together at this point will figure out a weak spot or something. Maybe physically knock him out of the arena for a disqualification. More likely, he'd just win, but I don't like him, so he loses. Nyah nyah nyah.
- Luna. She's an incredible black mage, but she's not a veteran, wheras ...
... Milov is. In addition, you've seen him beat Luna before.
I'm splitting them into teams of three, trying to keep natural allies together while adding the pairs with the singletons.
Now, for the in-depth analysis.
- The Originals: Dominic Deegan, Luna Travoria, & Spark - 'nuff said.
- The Nobles: Siegfried Gunther Aern Damaske von Callan (A.K.A. Siggy), Milov Danovich, & Jayden - Known allies; the trio that busted Dominic and Luna for scaring the Lynn's Brook nimrods.
- White and Black: Gregory Deegan & Nurse Pam, & The Infernomancer (A.K.A. TIM) - TIM is here because he's a confirmed enemy of Dryad and Dirk. And because Nurse Pam needs to be balanced with a really strong teammate.
- Green and Black: The Dryad & Dirk the Mighty, & Jacob Deegan - Left over.
- Stunt & Bumper - I'm taking them out. They don't have good odds anyway, not with the magic flying around. And it makes for four even teams.